Sunday, February 27, 2011

The son becomes the father, and the father, the son.

"You will travel far my little Kal-El. But we will never leave you. Even in the face of our deaths. You will make my strength your own. You will see my life through your eyes as your life will be seen through mine. The son becomes the father, and the father, the - The son." - Jor-El, Superman Returns
These are the beginning lines of Superman returns when Jor-El, the father of Superman speaks to him, but also they are the last words of the movie as Superman speaks to his son these same words, "as the son becomes the father, so the father, becomes the son." I was thinking today that I am really excited to be a Dad. I know that maybe it is a weird desire to most teenage guys, but I can't wait for the day.
   

I am so excited to have my own cute little boy. I can almost picture his face right now. I can imagine the days with my little girl with her giant smile and cute eyes looking up at me as we run into the ocean together. I can imagine the summer afternoons of running through the sprinklers, playing tag in the park, staring at the clouds, the lunches in the sun, and the times where I twirl my kids around like airplanes.

I can see the winter mornings of Christmas, the snow men we'll build, the sledding  hills, the Thanksgiving Dinners at Grandma's, the family prayers, the goodnight kisses, the Lego building contests, sword fights, and the constant laughter every day as we tickle each other and play around like boys.

Even though I've only mentioned the good times, I'm so excited for the less upbeat times too. I'm excited for the times, when we go on walks, when we do homework, when we have family scripture study, when we clean the room, and for the opportunities when my kids are being bums for me to grow and prove myself to my heavenly father.
I'm not sure where this excitement comes from. Maybe it is from my younger years and relieving them. Maybe it is my excitement to get married and have a family. Maybe it's because I absolutely love children. Maybe it is because I can't wait for the day when I will get to look into the eyes of my wife and see the face of my daughter or my son and know that we are doing what the Lord would have us do. All I can say is that I'm excited to be a dad and a husband for my kids and my future wife. I can't help but wonder if my parents felt the same way before they had us.


And then, there will be a day when they grow up and become men and women, and I get to see them go on mission, to learn and grow as teenagers, to get married, and to have kids of their own. That will be a great day, but I think I'll like them as kids a little bit more, who knows, but I do know one thing. I will be so proud of my kids.

1 comment: